Earlier this year, I replaced by old desk with one of those triangle-shaped Ikea tables that fits nicely into the corner of the room. It has served me well, but it’s not exactly ergonomically sound. I’ve been meaning to raise the monitor up a few more inches for awhile now.
Enter our old amplifier, we blew it out this year and were planning on tossing it at some point. I was looking at it and figured that it would probably be the perfect height for a monitor stand. The problems were that the thing weighed a ton and it was filled with useless electronic guts. That said, it was pretty easy to get rid of insides.
Old electronics were a lot more serviceable than they are now, so it only took a few mintues to get the amplifier apart. I had to remove five screws from the bottom and the whole thing slid out from the wooden case. The last step was to remove all the knobs, and unscrew the faceplate from the rest of the inside rack.
I glued all of the knobs back onto the faceplate with super-glue and punched two holes into the top of the amp, so I could put nails in to secure the front. It would probably be a lot cooler if the faceplate was hinged, but I didn’t have anything usable lying around. The empty space where the electronics used be is a good spot to store cds, spindles, monitor cleaner or whatever other crap you have lying around. Unfortunately, I had to sacrifice the functionality of the switches and the knobs.
Here’s the full photoset on flickr, although it was a rather poorly documented process.